Visit us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Local News



The Morning Buzz

Big Deal

Landowners pay if burn state signs

Submitted by admin on March 18, 2010 – 1:15 pmNo Comment

By New Director Leslie Stratmoen

RIVERTON, Wyo. – Even though snow is expected to blow into the area this weekend, the state transportation department has been dealing with spring fever. People have been burning off weeds alongside roads near state rights-of-way which in turn — burns road signs and fences.

So, state transportation officials are passing along this message – you will pay for damage.

Shelby Carlson of the state highway department says rights-of-way fencing, signs and guardrails are all owned by the State of Wyoming.

Instead of burning, the department suggests landowners secure a forage permit from the Wyoming Department of Transportation that allows individuals to control vegetation growth in the state rights-of-way by mowing.

The only requirement is that the permit holder secures insurance to cover the activity because it can be dangerous working alongside the highway.

Forage permit forms are available at WyDOT maintenance offices, which in Fremont County, are located in Riverton, Lander, Dubois, Shoshoni and South Pass.

The maintenance offices are also the contact point for anyone having problems with prescribed burns near the state’s rights-of-way.

Information from: The Wyoming Department of Transportation

RSS feed


No comments yet.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.