Visit us on Facebook

Obits

Arrests

The Morning Buzz

Big Deal

Man killed in Riverton shooting

Submitted by admin on May 3, 2010 – 10:36 am15 Comments
 TUESDAY MORNING UPDATE: Gabriel Drennen, 36, of Riverton, has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Leroy Hoster. Stay tuned to KVOW/KTAK for further updates.

Noon News Wrap Monday May 3
Capt. Eric Murphy

By News Director Leslie Stratmoen

Noon Update — Tuesday May 6

HOMICIDE MAKES FIVE

Shooting is fifth homicide this year

RIVERTON, Wyo. – A Riverton man has been charged with first-degree murder for the weekend shooting death of 29-year-old Leroy Hoster. Facing the murder charge is 36-year-old Gabriel Drennen. Police say he was the victim’s new landlord.

Apparently it was that new relationship that brought about the Sunday afternoon shooting in Riverton at the Wind River Estates trailer park on the southeast edge of town. Riverton Police Capt. Eric Murphy said it was a landlord-tenant dispute that set up the conflict.

He chose not to release any further details about the fatal incident, at this time, other than to say he believed the victim was shot six times with a 9 millimeter hand gun.

Just exactly how many times he was shot, and what killed him, is expected to be known later today when Coroner Ed McAuslan receives the autopsy results.

The death brings the homicide number in Fremont County to five since the beginning of the year.

Noon update – Monday May 5

RIVERTON, Wyo. – Local police are still trying to piece together what led up to the weekend shooting of a Riverton man. They do have someone in custody, but are still conducting interviews. The man who was killed was 29-year-old Leroy Hoster.

Riverton Police Capt. Eric Murphy said Hoster was shot six times with a 9 millimeter hand gun. He survived the shots long enough to be transported to the Riverton hospital, but died there within hours.

What actually killed him has yet to be determined. Coroner Ed McAuslan said he won’t make that ruling until tomorrow when he sees the results of the autopsy. That’s to be performed at the McKee Medical Center in Loveland, Colo.

Police believe the shooting happened around 3 Sunday afternoon at the Wind River Estates trailer park. That neighborhood sits at Riverton’s southeast edge on Birch Avenue.

First Report

RIVERTON, Wyo. – A Riverton man was killed in yesterday’s shooting incident we reported on earlier. Riverton police Capt. Eric Murphy said 29-year-old Leroy Hoster was shot six times, police believe with a 9 millimeter hand gun. Coroner Ed McAuslan, however, has not yet determined the cause of death. He said an autopsy has been planned for tomorrow.

The man was shot during an altercation at the Wind River Estates trailer park on Birch Avenue on the southeast side of Riverton. A call reporting the shooting came in to the police at just after 3 Sunday afternoon. Hoster died a few hours later at the Riverton hospital.

The police captain said they did have a suspect in custody, but did not want to give out any more information at this time.

“We’re still conducting interviews,” he said, “and trying to put the pieces together.”

RSS feed

15 Comments

Comment by hazeizgod
2010-05-03 13:01:46

RIP Leroy. You will be missed. I know we are all looking for some answers, wondering who and why, etc. But for now we need to give his family our blessings. We hope they get through this terrible time ok. And I pray that the crime stops in Riverton. Too many deaths for me this year. Makes me want to move.

Comment by mrsnoid
2010-05-04 06:53:40

sad to see what was a friendly little town turn into a crime filled cesspool. I used to love Riverton!

Comment by King Tut
2010-05-04 09:52:31

With growth comes a growing economy with other pains …
As example, ask Gillette and Rock Springs residents ….
I still love Riverton for the 99.9% decent Riverton area people

Comment by Dirty Harry
2010-05-04 12:10:05

How did you get 99.9%?
I thought it was 90% and the other 10% were gamblers?
Oh wait, the other 10% were the folks that don’t like agreements.

Comment by King Tut
2010-05-04 12:20:44

Harry
I know you mean well.
Someone was murdered here … another crime was committed

Comment by hazeizgod
2010-05-05 18:24:28

are you guys missing the point? someone DIED. let’s change the subject on whether or not riverton is nice or not and what percentage of people are this and that. geeze. yes, this town is getting worse, but listen to you argue. you are not helping the situation. the point is: cant we all just get along!??

Comment by singer4264
2010-05-04 09:20:11

You will be truly missed LeRoy. You were not only a very dear friend, but we considered you as a part of our family. Our hearts and prayers go out to your mother and father and sisters. Sincerely hope that justice will be served.

Comment by wolverinemom2
2010-05-04 10:18:55

Word is he was killed (DELETED BY MANAGEMENT)

Comment by Dirty Harry
2010-05-04 12:05:26

uh oh, you must have struck a nerve.

Comment by wolverinemom2
2010-05-04 14:43:32

Well, I posted what happened. And, those who read know that when I post something…I haven’t been wrong. I know this because my husband and I own rental property down there and we were down there in the immediate vicinity as it was taking place. We overheard everything. We called 911 but someone had already called.

Comment by wolverinemom2
2010-05-04 14:45:58

They haven’t released ‘why’ officially, so I am sure that is why I was shut down. I get it…they’ll want to make the announcement.

EDITOR’S NOTE: News stories posted on this Web site deal with facts as presented by official sources. We do not report the news by repeating rumors or hearsay. Consider this a warning. Stick to the rules or you will be barred from this site.

Comment by Dirty Harry
2010-05-04 16:41:03

O I C … didn’t mean to fester this

Comment by wolverinemom2
2010-05-05 10:23:39

#1-I wasn’t reporting as part of your news story.

#2-My SWORN statement of my eyewitness account was given to the authorities. So, sorry. It wasn’t hearsay. So, please feel free to ban me for speaking the truth.

EDITOR’S NOTE: You’re missing the point. You are not an official source.

Comment by King Tut
2010-05-05 19:53:45

Editor
With all due respect, the coroner and police aren’t in agreement on how many holes verses slugs were found on his body, either. Who has that call?

Comment by eagleboy
2010-05-05 20:13:06

I looked under terms of use and it suggested to read commenting and posting policy, but I can’t find that. editor, where do we find these rules?

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.