Visit us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Local News



The Morning Buzz

Big Deal

Nickelson murder case bound over to district court

Submitted by Newsroom on October 11, 2012 – 2:03 pmNo Comment

By KVOW/KTAK News Director Leslie Stratmoen

RIVERTON, Wyo. — The second-degree murder case against Dustin Nickelson has been bound over to the district court in Lander. In proceedings held Wednesday in Riverton Circuit Court, Judge Wes Roberts determined there was suitable evidence to forward on the case.

Nickelson has been in custody since mid-September when he was arrested in connection with the shooting death of 27-year-old Lucas Myhre of Riverton. Authorities say the shooting took place at about 9:30 on the night of Sept. 13 in front of Nickelson’s apartment on East Adams, following an altercation.

In published court testimony, Riverton Police Detective Jason Cox said the incident started with Myhre going to the wrong apartment. Nickelson’s neighbor said he was planning to visit her, but knocked on Nickelson’s door instead. She came out to see the two exchanging threats and Nickelson holding a .45-caliber handgun. Myhre pushed Nickelson, according to the report, then other people in the apartment intervened and Nickelson went back to his own place.

Myhre reportedly went outside soon afterward and spoke to three people waiting for him in a vehicle. He asked them if they wanted to see a guy “get beat up.” Myhre then went back to Nickelson’s apartment and tried to enter. Myhre reportedly apologized to Nickelson first then challenged him to come outside for a fight. Nickelson said no and Myhre stepped into the apartment. That’s when Nickelson said he fired the gun, several times. He then unloaded the gun and set it on the couch. That’s where the firearm was found when police arrived.

Detective Michael Phillips said authorities did not find any blood inside the apartment, but it looked like blood was present on the outside threshold to the building and outside the apartment. He said Myhre’s body was on the sidewalk in front of the apartment when he arrived, covered with a blanket. At that time, Nickelson confessed he fired on Myhre eight times, then unloaded the gun.

The autopsy showed Myhre was shot seven times. He was struck in the head, heart, thighs and body cavity. The detective said some of the bullets entered from the victim’s back and the autopsy did not reveal any evidence of close-range fire.

RSS feed


No comments yet.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.